Plano

Free Consultations

972-620-3223

How Laser Hair Removal Works

shutterstock9805501

To understand how laser hair removal works, you first need to know how the hair growth process works. Of all the hair follicles in your body, only about 30% are active at any one time and the remaining 70% are either in the resting or dormant phases.

Because the laser light is attracted to the pigment in the hair follicle, we are only able to treat active follicles. The dormant and resting follicles do not have hair in the bulb, therefore, no target for the laser. Several factors can influenece the activiation of dormant follicles such as hormones, medication and genetics.

The process by which lasers disable the hair follicle is really quite simple. The pigment or melanin in your hair absorbs the laser light energy. The absorbed light is converted to heat. The overheating of the follicle cells permanently disable them.These follicles can never re-grow hair. Because this process is dependent on dark melanin in the hair, gray, white, blond and red hair cannot be effectively treated. This is science and while other providers may tell you differently, there is no laser technology on the market today that will truly effectively treat these hair colors.

The treatment sessions are spaced 8-16 weeks apart. The spacing of treatments is recommended to allow the follicles that were in their "resting" state or not actively growing during your previous treatment to enter their active phase and grow hair. It also allows the hair in the follicle to fully mature and become its thickest, making treatments more effective.
The number of treatments necessary depends on the site being treated and varies by individual, but most areas clients require an average of five to seven treatments. All skin colors can be treated with the use of different lasers with different wavelengths.

haircycles

Anagen - active phase
Catagen - transition phase
Telogen - resting or dormant phase

Sun or UV Exposure

We all know that the sun can cause mulitple issues for our skin, but did you know that it can also complicate the laser hair removal process? Recent or inconsistent sun exposure can increase the risk of a serious skin reaction. We do not want to see this happen to you. Our goal is to keep your skin safe.

Since it takes about 30 days for the newly formed layer of pigment to spread thoughout your skin, we must wait 30 days to treat after the following events:

- A sunburn, no matter what your UV exposure was prior
- A new exposure after little or no exposure, such as your first exposure in the spring
- A recent significant change to skin color, such as might happen after a tropical vacation

If you come in for treatment after one of these events or during the 30 days after, we will need to reschedule you. This is not to cause you inconvenience, it is to minimize the risk of a serious skin reaction. If you think that UV exposure may be an issue, please call the center and speak with a manager. She can help determine if we need to reschedule you. This could save you a trip!

To read more about sun exposure and laser hair removal, click here.

Picture3

Home | Affordable Pricing | Compare | Results | Testimonials | FAQs | Locations | Microdermabrasion | Men
Laser Hair Removal | Treatment | Myths of Shaving | Skin Care Products | Sun Exposure | Cleansers | Body Products | Antioxidants Tools | Pigment Issues | Sunscreen | Additional Products | Other Services
Questions to Ask Providers | Fact vs. Fiction

item1
item2

HOME | AFFORDABLE PRICING | COMPARE | RESULTS | TESTIMONIALS | FAQs | LOCATIONS

To learn more about the actual treatment, click here.

SmoothLogo4Cspot